Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roll Over Beethoven...Tell Tchaichovsky the News...Chuck Berry is gone at 90

Default Roll Over Beethoven...Tell Tchaichovsky the News...Chuck Berry is gone at 90

Oops...misspelled "Tchaikovsky"...dammit...

Like I posted in the other thread, we lost one of the top RnR innovators toay.
    "Remember, remember, the Eight of November, 2016"

Not My President!

"Man, I really gotta get to the Duck Room and see Chuck Berry," I thought to myself a billion times.

Goddamn it.

Had some school thing when I was 9, so Mom and I had a late dinner -- like 8 pm -- at the Howard Johnson's on Fifth Street in St. Charles. About halfway through dinner, Chuck Berry came in, alone, and sat down at a nearby booth. Was happy to give me an autograph.
    I like cheese.

Without Chuck, the Rolling Stones would have sounded like Herman's Hermits.

A little known song from the Berry catalogue. And then the Santana version.

LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

I think, in this time of giving gratitude for his contributions to music history, we should also thank Chuck's cousin Marvin...for finding that new sound Chuck was looking for...

Old dude had a pretty good run. He even got to play with KJoe.

"Johnny B. Goode" is headed out into deep space with the Voyager Golden Record.
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by kah View Post
    "Johnny B. Goode" is headed out into deep space with the Voyager Golden Record.

Didn't kjoe play onstage with him at some point?
    "At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed."
    Frederick Douglass, doing an amazing job since 1852

As a child growing up in East Boogie I lived on Market Street. Right across from Lincoln Park. Behind me on the next block over was a 500 square feet nightclub. The Cosmopolitan Club was the music home of Chuck Berry when he got his start.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
    "Man, I really gotta get to the Duck Room and see Chuck Berry," I thought to myself a billion times.

Goddamn it.
    No shit.

Just say you did. And he sucked.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
    -Barry Goldwater

In addition to the bathroom camera thing, he was also convicted (twice) for violating the Mann act with a 14 year old. While singing his praises let's also not forget that sometimes people who do great things aren't necessarily good people.
    "Pissing blood sounds like a bad Monday..."
    - Jeffro

Quote Originally Posted by wad View Post
    In addition to the bathroom camera thing, he was also convicted (twice) for violating the Mann act with a 14 year old. While singing his praises let's also not forget that sometimes people who do great things aren't necessarily good people.
    He died of a broken heart.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
    -Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by El Birdo 1 View Post
    He died of a broken heart.
    The girl he left behind.
    - Jeffro

The best thing about that audio was how Yoko's mike was muted. If you look there's another video of the two of them performing "Memphis, Tennessee". Yoko decides to butt in with some horrible off-key yodeling, until her mike goes dead.

This. Chuck Berry did the kind of shit that's made Roman Polanski and Woody Allen pariahs, and has Bill Cosby facing a lengthy prison term. I guess the lesson here is to commit your statutory rapes in the 1950s on a victim who won't speak up and then when you act like a creepy sexual predator in your own restaurant, do that before the age of the internet and throw a shitload of money at that problem. Then live a long time after all that.
    Last edited by triggercut1; 03-19-2017 at 10:34 AM.
    I like cheese.

You guys verbally fellate all sorts of dead people and nothing bad can be said about them, but chuck berry is fair game.

Quote Originally Posted by thelivingend View Post
    You guys verbally fellate all sorts of dead people and nothing bad can be said about them, but chuck berry is fair game.
    Please, tell me who you're speaking of in such generalities
    - Jeffro

Quote Originally Posted by thelivingend View Post
    Can we appreciate their talent in their chosen profession while realizing that they like all of us have their set of flaws?

M
    "Remember, remember, the Eight of November, 2016"

Not My President!

Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
    Can we appreciate their talent in their chosen profession while realizing that they like all of us have their set of flaws?

M
    I realize you're kind of supporting my position here, but what he had is not a normal set of flaws like "all of us have."
    - Jeffro

Please, tell me who you're speaking of in such generalities
    Read the dead celeb thread.

Thread Information