Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Right to work for less coming to Missouri

Mule, Moon is an expert on everything... everything.
    Official Sponsor of all things Mizzou Football, the non-existant Jose Oquendo STOP sign, and the Rally Hoosier!

Quote Originally Posted by house77 View Post
    Still waiting to hear about how great life is for all those high school graduates in Dixie.

Moon

Also Airshark. I miss the 2 of them going at it.

"
    Why are the Russians suddenly a problem?" -Bgats

Quote Originally Posted by Muleskinner View Post
    Moon, just FYI, Energy is my business now, You should have noted that I said PRB and Illinois Basin coal particularly, not the sub bituminous coal Peaboby was supplying from Australia which has been crushed in China. The supercritical boilers they built require a very fine, high btu coal to function properly.
    Then...you're not disagreeing with me then, yes?

Moon

Everybody bust out your resumes! Internets is serious bidness!

Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Man View Post
    Then...you're not disagreeing with me then, yes?

Moon
    You little shit . Yes and no. You mischaracterized my statement regarding demand. I clarified and included the reason Peabody struggles, which in no way invalidated my assertion regarding South East Asia demand.

You do understand there are a few different types coal right?

I think the only point Moon is making is that coal is never going to be a huge job creator again.

"

Quote Originally Posted by mellanby_equals_grit View Post
    Also Airshark. I miss the 2 of them going at it.
    Pages upon pages.
    Official Sponsor of all things Mizzou Football, the non-existant Jose Oquendo STOP sign, and the Rally Hoosier!

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Man View Post
    Everybody bust out your resumes! Internets is serious bidness!

Moon
    OK, Energizer Bunny...
    Last edited by 007; 01-11-2017 at 03:45 PM.

"
    They say nothing's more American than grabbing a hotdog, heading to the ballpark
    and watching nine guys from the Dominican Republic make magic on the field."
    -- Will Ferrell, on being American

I think the only point Moon is making is that coal is never going to be a huge job creator again.
    Maybe not in the mining sense, but as long as utilities continue to build new power plants jobs will be created.
    Not at the table Carlos.

My magic 8 ball says "Cannot Predict Now". But in all honesty he'll probably be right about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekken View Post
    Maybe not in the mining sense, but as long as utilities continue to build new power plants jobs will be created.
    New Nukes are about the only plants that would create permanet jobs in the thousands. Hardly anyone is needed to run a Combined Cycle gas plant, even less for simple cycle gas combustion turbines. Wind farms, again don't get me started. Coal gasification plants, which are pretty much mini refineries require significant labor, but otherwise even coal plants employ roughly 1/3 less people now than compared to 20 years ago.

I thought that was pretty obvious from the start, but thank you for clarifying that for them. But I'm no expert!

Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Muleskinner View Post
    New Nukes are about the only plants that would create permanet jobs in the thousands. Hardly anyone is needed to run a Combined Cycle gas plant, even less for simple cycle gas combustion turbines. Wind farms, again don't get me started. Coal gasification plants, which are pretty much mini refineries require significant labor, but otherwise even coal plants employ roughly 1/3 less people now than compared to 20 years ago.
    The coal plants I've been to for noise testing look like ghost towns. The parking lot has cars in it, but I hardly see any people there. It's kind of creepy to have all this giant machinery chugging away with no one around.
    You can't kill terror
    So let's declare war
    There's so many dead that we can't keep score

I don't understand how anyone who has really studied the history of the struggle of labor can sit there and say "unions aren't needed". But then I remember our education is shite and people really want to repeat history.
    The Body is Tired, But the Spirit is Willing.

What does that graph tell us?

population us greater now?
    Home schooling is more prevalent?

Is home schooling a bad option becuase our school system is so great?
    2016 sponsor of Stephen "Piss" Piscotty also know as "Biscuits"
    *2015 sponsor of Randall Grichuk
    *Sponsoree of CG
    2014 (and 2013) sponsor of Kevin Siegrist

If you're starving for skilled labor then you aren't paying enough. Bottomline.

And pay is absolutely NOT higher in RTW states. In fact it is the opposite. Guess which neighboring state of MO has a higher average annual wage? That would be Illinois. The only non-RTW state.
    Stop it.

You're gettin saucy lately, Flappy. You still mad about the Bucky thing?

"

This is what people never want to talk about. RTW is mostly in southern states, which inherently has a lower cost of living and has always paid less.
    Unfortunately House it's not the "lower cost of living" which has traditionally held wages in the south below everyone else.

The worst schools, worst educational system, worst healthcare, worst economies. Yes, it is true Republicans actively want to take the southern model and replicate it across the country, when objectively it is terrible for most, absent some good weather. You would think states would be looking to replicate the outcomes from the Westcoast and the Northeast, particularly economically, or even Minnesota, doing very well, but despite arguments to the contrary, people are not necessarily rational economically.

Don't know why anyone would look to Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Kentucky, Arkansas, Tennessee, W. Viriginai -- and think, damn, we need some of that.

I always wish St. Louis was doing as well as Huntsville, AL.

"

I always wish St. Louis was doing as well as Huntsville, AL.
    Huntsville probably alright, because NASA
    25MM jobs in 10 years / 4% GDP Growth / Insurance for everybody / Schools flush with cash don't produce results
    Jan 2017: 4.7% U-3, 9.2% U-6, 62.7% LFPR, 5.2% Real Wages, 2.6% GDP, 19,827 DJIA, 2,271 S&P500, $2.316/gal

The argument that there is a demand for skilled labor (which on its face is kind of BS, but that's not the issue) in no way says that RTW benefits Missouri.

"

The argument that there is a demand for skilled labor (which on its face is kind of BS, but that's not the issue) in no way says that RTW benefits Missouri.
    I guess I should've known better than to post some local data relative to what House was pointing out.

Thread Information