Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Right to work for less coming to Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by house77 View Post
    I have no problem with unions and if people would like to join one. I like that people will have to option to join or not now.
    come on house. do you have any idea how dumb this sounds?

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    How's sabbatical?
    Only four days left! Moon is sad!

But hey, this is what a state job AND a union can get you! Suckers! #teatcitay

Moon

I have no problem with insurance and if people like to pay their premiums. Now i'm glad people have the option to receive coverage and not pay their premiums.

"
    Why are the Russians suddenly a problem?" -Bgats

Quote Originally Posted by mellanby_equals_grit View Post
    If you're starving for skilled labor then you aren't paying enough. Bottomline.

And pay is absolutely NOT higher in RTW states. In fact it is the opposite. Guess which neighboring state of MO has a higher average annual wage? That would be Illinois. The only non-RTW state.
    You don't know anything about the IT field!

-Board Dudes in IT

Quote Originally Posted by Muleskinner View Post
    Well here in Indiana the Boilermakers were making more than in Illinois. Now I know Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee all pay less, but their scale was always lower. I do travel quite extensively, but now I write the checks.
    Gee. What a coincidence that all those states are in the South...

Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Man View Post
    Only four days left! Moon is sad!

But hey, this is what a state job AND a union can get you! Suckers! #teatcitay

Moon
    Going back on MLK Day?

"
    They say nothing's more American than grabbing a hotdog, heading to the ballpark
    and watching nine guys from the Dominican Republic make magic on the field."
    -- Will Ferrell, on being American

Well here in Indiana the Boilermakers were making more than in Illinois. Now I know Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee all pay less, but their scale was always lower. I do travel quite extensively, but now I write the checks.
    This is what people never want to talk about. RTW is mostly in southern states, which inherently has a lower cost of living and has always paid less.

If you're starving for skilled labor then you aren't paying enough. Bottomline.

And pay is absolutely NOT higher in RTW states. In fact it is the opposite. Guess which neighboring state of MO has a higher average annual wage? That would be Illinois. The only non-RTW state.
    MEG, with all due respect, I have a much firmer grip on those fields than you. People don't get into the skilled trades because they don't understand the type of money that's offered. We're all brainwashed that we need to go to college and have a "white-collared/professional" career in order to survive. Well, that's fine and all, but you can make a shitload more if you immediately became an electrician's apprentice and learned the craft.
    Official Sponsor of all things Mizzou Football, the non-existant Jose Oquendo STOP sign, and the Rally Hoosier!

Quote Originally Posted by itsvon View Post
    come on house. do you have any idea how dumb this sounds?
    Illinois had some horseshit where you could opt out of being a union member, but would still have to pay dues while receiving none of the benefits. It was strange. It was when the teachers aides, janitors unionized in the late 90's

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Going back on MLK Day?
    FIVE days! Woot!

Moon

Gee. What a coincidence that all those states are in the South...

Moon
    No shit Moon, what's your point. Been that way since reconstruction!

This is what kills me about conservative ideology in the modern age and I assume it wasn't always this way, but maybe I'm wrong..

We know that plan X leads to lower wages, less benefits, more unsafe work places, higher profits for billionaires...

But if we don't say those things and just describe plan X on its face and it SOUNDS appealing (which without the actual results that have been tested in over 20 states I can get that maybe it is)... The results of plan X don't really matter.. Cause it just sounds nice. Same thing with trickle down economics. Reality, facts, science, and most importantly results.. These things need not concern me... Something SOUNDS nice.

"

No shit Moon, what's your point. Been that way since reconstruction!
    The point is that southern states have always had a harder line against organized labor.

Moon

FIVE days! Woot!

Moon
    I'll refrain from making a really bad, tasteless joke...

"
    They say nothing's more American than grabbing a hotdog, heading to the ballpark

The point is that southern states have always had a harder line against organized labor.

Moon
    They're sure suffering with all that economic and population growth.
    Official Sponsor of all things Mizzou Football, the non-existant Jose Oquendo STOP sign, and the Rally Hoosier!

This is what people never want to talk about. RTW is mostly in southern states, which inherently has a lower cost of living and has always paid less.

MEG, with all due respect, I have a much firmer grip on those fields than you. People don't get into the skilled trades because they don't understand the type of money that's offered. We're all brainwashed that we need to go to college and have a "white-collared/professional" career in order to survive. Well, that's fine and all, but you can make a shitload more if you immediately became an electrician's apprentice and learned the craft.
    With all due respect, I doubt that. But you are right they don't get into it without understanding the money offered. So pay more and people will flock to the job more. The market fixes everything right? Least that's what the RTW brigade would have us always believe. So why isn't it true about available skilled labor? I 100% agree college is over-emphasized. I also don't understand what that has to do with the discussion here.

"

Are you arguing that the states at the forefront of poverty, lack of healthcare, poor education, and 100 other measurables are doing great?

"

WTF is the point of joining and paying dues if you get the representation without it? The union bargains for everyone.. It's absolute bullshit to accept the representation and not pay for it. Don't wanna join a union? Don't take a union job.

The purpose of RTW isn't to "provide choice" it's to slowly whittle down their power so people can be paid less.
    Bingo. The government is essentially forcing an organization to represent someone free of charge. That is wrong and in my opinion against everything a Republican is supposed to stand for.

With all due respect, I doubt that. But you are right they don't get into it without understanding the money offered. So pay more and people will flock to the job more. The market fixes everything right? Least that's what the RTW brigade would have us always believe. So why isn't it true about available skilled labor? I 100% agree college is over-emphasized. I also don't understand what that has to do with the discussion here.
    I love the English language...

"

Yeah, tell me about how well people without a college degree are doing in the South.

Moon

Yeah, tell me about how well people without a college degree are doing in the South.

Moon
    Hiring ppg?

"

I do respect House. I just think he is dead wrong on this.

"

I do respect House. I just think he is dead wrong on this.
    It's just funny phrasing, not a shot at you...

Any time I read it, it's usually followed by something that disrespects...

"

Well, I've been working in skilled labor for 12 years, so yeah... I sort of doubt that. That's who I consult. Currently, my clients hire people with ZERO technical knowledge because the job pool sucks so hard. They'd rather get young people who show a good work ethic and spend the tens of thousands of dollars it takes to train them... and all of those years... because they're better workers. (Then, they pay them starting $60K and will make over $100K in a matter of a few years.)

Feel free to Google away. You'll find that there is a dire need for skilled labor throughout the country. Having clients in every state and every Canadian province, I have the personal knowledge to support that as well.

His feels are irrelevant. They will factually help him. Don't those stock boys get an automatic raise every 550 hours worked? Good luck bargaining that on your own.
    Not to mention, access to truly affordable health care, retirement, as well as a pathway to a pension plan. If you don't want to pay the $60 a month and feel that the cheap healthcare and other perks aren't necessary, then get another job that starts you off at the same rate. There are plenty of low paying starter jobs out there.

I love hearing "the union treated me like shit when blah blah blah..." stories... Let's take all the stories in history of the union not doing right by a member and weigh that against all the stories of an employer not doing right by an employee and see who wins.. I know who I have my money on (although it would be more money if I was in a union).

"

Thread Information