Page 258 of 258 FirstFirst ... 158208233256257258
Results 6,426 to 6,447 of 6447

Thread: St. Louis Cardinals 2016-17 Hot Stove: Tsunami warning through 2021...maybe 2023!

  1. #6426

    Default

    Put Art in the it's likely he'll be a 2.5 WAR player in 2017 camp


    at least insight backed pedaled into 1-1.5 WAR
    2016 sponsor of Stephen "Piss" Piscotty also know as "Biscuits"
    *2015 sponsor of Randall Grichuk
    *Sponsoree of CG
    2014 (and 2013) sponsor of Kevin Siegrist

  2. #6427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Put Art in the it's likely he'll be a 2.5 WAR player in 2017 camp


    at least insight backed pedaled into 1-1.5 WAR
    i haven't backpedaled into anything. What is likely and what is possible are two different things. That you can't see that is truly stunning and embarassing.
    First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Socialist.

    Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Jew.

    Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

  3. #6428

    Default

    Unrealized or untapped?
    2016 sponsor of Stephen "Piss" Piscotty also know as "Biscuits"
    *2015 sponsor of Randall Grichuk
    *Sponsoree of CG
    2014 (and 2013) sponsor of Kevin Siegrist

  4. #6429

    Default

    I don't understand why or when kah took up the mantel of defending Loblaw every. single. time.

  5. #6430

    Default

    Let's see if we can start another day long debate over semantics...


    Did you guys know that Matheny is a gifted motivator?

    A gifted motivator, Matheny has ample source material to set a tone.
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...8cceb38c9.html
    2016 sponsor of Stephen "Piss" Piscotty also know as "Biscuits"
    *2015 sponsor of Randall Grichuk
    *Sponsoree of CG
    2014 (and 2013) sponsor of Kevin Siegrist

  6. #6431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glovey View Post
    I don't understand why or when kah took up the mantel of defending Loblaw every. single. time.
    Maybe we're brothers
    2016 sponsor of Stephen "Piss" Piscotty also know as "Biscuits"
    *2015 sponsor of Randall Grichuk
    *Sponsoree of CG
    2014 (and 2013) sponsor of Kevin Siegrist

  7. #6432
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Lard of Sou
    Posts
    60,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Maybe we're brothers
    That would explain so, so much..
    Official Lounge Sponsor
    St. Louis Cardinals - #44 Trevor Rosenthal
    Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

    2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

  8. #6433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Maybe we're brothers
    Maybe part of triplets?

    Assume the third took up all the oxygen.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.


    "When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
    -Barry Goldwater

  9. #6434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InSighT View Post
    Jon Jay, in all likelihood, is a 1-1.5 win player. Both because he's not a very good player and because he's unlikely to play every day on a good team. That's different from saying that Jon Jay doesn't have the potential to be a 2.5-3 win player. That he clearly does; he's already done it. If he were to play slightly better than he did last year but play every day this time, he would be a 2.5 win player.
    It's less about the Cubs being a good team than it is about the current state of the roster in general and the outfield in particular. I hear Maddon is going to go with 13 pitchers, leaving a 4-man bench. Schwarber, the prospective leftfielder, is going to be eased into his new position after his injury, as well as spending some time behind the plate. Heyward is Heyward, but his .631 OPS (2016) is just North of Pete Kozma.

    The key is Almora. If he's ready, he's ready. One of the reasons that Jay was signed is because they have a history: background, school, and the fact that they have been training together in the offseason for the last several years. So, the more Jay does to prepare the 22-year-old Almora for major league baseball, the less playing time Jay's likely to get. Is that irony?

    With only 12 position players, Zobrist, the other option, is likely to spend most of his time in the infield.

    With his versatility at all three outfield positions, I put Jay as nominally the third outfielder, this year only, starting most of the 110-120 games v. RHSP in centerfield, spelling the corner positions and coming off the bench. JMO. Next year, different story.
    Last edited by wonderdog; 02-12-2017 at 02:11 PM.
    - a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds

  10. #6435

    Default

    What a bunch of Jake Tappers
    2016 sponsor of Stephen "Piss" Piscotty also know as "Biscuits"
    *2015 sponsor of Randall Grichuk
    *Sponsoree of CG
    2014 (and 2013) sponsor of Kevin Siegrist

  11. #6436
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pflugerville tx
    Posts
    95,590

    Default

    So, if Oquendo's tutoring of Diaz and Wong can turn the infield defense back into something reliable, do you see a guy like Leake having a much better season than last?
    "Remember, remember, the Eight of November, 2016"

    Not My President!

  12. #6437
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Lard of Sou
    Posts
    60,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
    So, if Oquendo's tutoring of Diaz and Wong can turn the infield defense back into something reliable, do you see a guy like Leake having a much better season than last?
    He'll have a similar season but his numbers will look a lot better. If that makes sense.
    Official Lounge Sponsor
    St. Louis Cardinals - #44 Trevor Rosenthal
    Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

    2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

  13. #6438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandalay View Post
    This whole discussion is just incredibly bizarre. You guys are comparing the likelihood of him playing at a ~2.5 WAR level to that of the Brewers winning the World Series... yet he played at almost exactly that level literally last season. I mean, there are surely other factors at play (he's recovering from injury and is one year older, both of which should slightly reduce his expected performance level next season), but in the end it seems like you'd have to be pretty willfully ignorant or stubborn to continue to make the argument that he's incapable of playing at that level again.
    It's incredibly bizarre because there is no reason to be discussing Jon Jay for two posts, let alone multiple pages.

  14. #6439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Cleveland View Post
    It's incredibly bizarre because there is no reason to be discussing Jon Jay for two posts, let alone multiple pages.
    It's February 12th- if you have a more interesting baseball related topic than Bob's continued stupidity when it comes to baseball, then by all means speak up and I would love to discuss it.
    Official Lounge sponsor of Brandon Moss

  15. #6440

    Default

    That really wasn't directed to you personally, although I did use your post.

    Here's my suggestion for a topic: Abe Lincoln's prowess as a baseball player?

  16. #6441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Cleveland View Post
    That really wasn't directed to you personally, although I did use your post.

    Here's my suggestion for a topic: Abe Lincoln's prowess as a baseball player?
    Too tall. Long swing with a lot of holes for pitchers to exploit. Players loved him. Great teammate by all accounts
    Sketch in STL
    Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

    I'M WITH HILLARY!

  17. Default

    Lincoln was the Austin Kearns of antebellum base-ball.
    I like cheese.

  18. #6443

    Default

    Hearing the Cardinals are looking at Shinzo Abe for the So Taguchi role.

  19. #6444
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Undergrond
    Posts
    18,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Cleveland View Post
    That really wasn't directed to you personally, although I did use your post.

    Here's my suggestion for a topic: Abe Lincoln's prowess as a baseball player?
    I read that he was the Walter Johnson of his day.
    " I don't think anyone knows what Treason is anymore.." ~ So Taint

  20. #6445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Cleveland View Post
    That really wasn't directed to you personally, although I did use your post.

    Here's my suggestion for a topic: Abe Lincoln's prowess as a baseball player?
    Thinking Richie Sexton.

  21. #6446

    Default

    Lincoln was a great athlete. Woody Hayes said he'd have made a great DE.

  22. #6447

    Default

    Lincoln of course was strong as hell, being a champion wrestler and a real-life "rail splitter" who was said to be able to hold out a 50 lb axe from his body with one arm.
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

    "This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •