Page 1 of 70 1232651 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 1730

Thread: Mizzou basketball - a raging dumpster fire - possible extinguisher purchased

  1. #1

    Default Mizzou basketball - a raging dumpster fire - possible extinguisher purchased

    I don't know if anyone posted about this (I didn't see it) but Jakeenan Gant declared his intention to transfer out the other day. That's notable because it makes him the last player in the last Haith/first Anderson class to leave the program. That was the freshman class of the 2014-15 season. Headed into the 2016-17 season, MU now has 0 players on its roster that were on that team.

    Complete roster turnover in 2 seasons. It's kind of amazing when you think about it. rockmnation posted an article diving into the particulars, read it here if you'd like:

    http://www.rockmnation.com/2016/4/22...rince#comments

    When Anderson was hired many of us hated the hire, for many different reasons. People often overreact on the internet, often see the worst possible outcome. In this case, the biggest pessimist was too optimistic. Anderson has essentially lit the program on fire and burned it to the ground. There's nothing left.

  2. #2

    Default

    What were Gant's numbers last year?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tupelo View Post
    What were Gant's numbers last year?
    idk, shit probably. we didn't have anyone who didn't have shit numbers.

    i don't think i've ever seen a program in worse shape than this one is right now.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InSighT View Post
    idk, shit probably. we didn't have anyone who didn't have shit numbers.

    i don't think i've ever seen a program in worse shape than this one is right now.
    Hyperbole much?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tupelo View Post
    Hyperbole much?
    Next year we will have 6 freshmen and 6 sophomores on the team, none of which was any kind of highly-thought-of recruit. It will be the youngest, smallest, least talented basketball team in probably 40 years of Mizzou basketball.

    And it'll be coached by a lame duck that everyone knows will be gone unless a miracle occurs. So, half of the kids that are here might transfer in a year when we get a new coach.

  6. #6

    Default

    so it appears we have a couple juco guys, so it won't quite be 6 freshmen and 6 sophomore. Point remains. We're going to be reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaallly bad. It's gonna get worse before it gets better.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InSighT View Post
    Next year we will have 6 freshmen and 6 sophomores on the team, none of which was any kind of highly-thought-of recruit. It will be the youngest, smallest, least talented basketball team in probably 40 years of Mizzou basketball.

    And it'll be coached by a lame duck that everyone knows will be gone unless a miracle occurs. So, half of the kids that are here might transfer in a year when we get a new coach.
    Are you taking into account what was inherited and how long it takes to build a program?

  8. #8

    Default

    Gant played all last season with an injured shoulder, so his numbers last year probably suffered as a result.

    In any even, Kim Anderson was an absolute pancake. We're entering year 3 with him, only now it's actually year 2, and Kim's not getting any younger, and he's going to be fired after next season if this team doesn't win 20 games...which, they're not going to do.

    Add to that the fact that the most dynamic player in years out of mid-Missouri is going to go play somewhere else, even though the kid's dad is a basketball coach with an office down the hall from Kim Anderson....
    I like cheese.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tupelo View Post
    Are you taking into account what was inherited and how long it takes to build a program?
    what anderson inherited was a mess. what we have now is a bigger mess. he's not building anything other than a massive pile of shit.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Maryland Heights
    Posts
    40,059

    Default

    I can't believe they gave him a third year. Shit, I can't believe they hired him in the first place.
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InSighT View Post
    what anderson inherited was a mess. what we have now is a bigger mess. he's not building anything other than a massive pile of shit.
    I mean...Cullen Van Leer. Is there another SEC program where Cullen Van Leer would be a scholarship player?
    I like cheese.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ElviswasaBluesFan View Post
    I can't believe they gave him a third year. Shit, I can't believe they hired him in the first place.
    Yep.

    Kim is putting together an awesome team that could hopefully compete for fourth in the MAC in a few years, but he's kind of overmatched for power conference hoops.
    I like cheese.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by triggercut1 View Post
    I mean...Cullen Van Leer. Is there another SEC program where Cullen Van Leer would be a scholarship player?
    and he's one of our players whose name i knew!

  14. #14

    Default

    like i said, it's kind of unbelievable how badly it's gone. even if you hated the hire from the start (I did), you couldn't have seen this coming. it's an amazing, ridiculous clusterfuck.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Maryland Heights
    Posts
    40,059

    Default

    Kim Anderson is the type of coach a program like Lindenwood hires, not Mizzou. I thought the new AD would can him for sure.
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ElviswasaBluesFan View Post
    Kim Anderson is the type of coach a program like Lindenwood hires, not Mizzou. I thought the new AD would can him for sure.
    I'm sure the thinking went something along the lines of:

    1. how much worse can it really get in another year?
    2. it'll be easier to hire a decent coach once this apr shit is behind us
    3. who the fuck would take this job right now?
    4. really, it can't get any worse, can it?
    5. i kind of want to see if it can get worse.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InSighT View Post
    I'm sure the thinking went something along the lines of:

    1. how much worse can it really get in another year?
    2. it'll be easier to hire a decent coach once this apr shit is behind us
    3. who the fuck would take this job right now?
    4. really, it can't get any worse, can it?
    5. i kind of want to see if it can get worse.
    You're pretty much spot on.

    Thinking was mostly:

    I want to fire this guy, but no one wants this job.

    The good news is that somehow they finessed their way through APR without losing a scholarship. After next season, APR will be less a concern, as will sanctions from the end of Haith's tenure. And someone will want the gig.

    But no one wanting the job is how we got a third year of Kim Anderson.
    I like cheese.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by triggercut1 View Post
    Gant played all last season with an injured shoulder, so his numbers last year probably suffered as a result.

    In any even, Kim Anderson was an absolute pancake. We're entering year 3 with him, only now it's actually year 2, and Kim's not getting any younger, and he's going to be fired after next season if this team doesn't win 20 games...which, they're not going to do.

    Add to that the fact that the most dynamic player in years out of mid-Missouri is going to go play somewhere else, even though the kid's dad is a basketball coach with an office down the hall from Kim Anderson....
    Good point. Mizzou has locked down those dynamic players like Porter for the last 20 years.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tupelo View Post
    Good point. Mizzou has locked down those dynamic players like Porter for the last 20 years.
    Well sure. Because the point I was making by pointing out that Michael Porter's dad is a basketball coach makes your comparison very valid, since Bradley Beals and Tyler Hansbrough's fathers were also Mizzou coaches.

    Or you know, it might be reasonable to have some hopes that even an above average Mizzou coach could get the son of another Mizzou basketball coach to attend Mizzou to play basketball.
    I like cheese.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tupelo View Post
    Good point. Mizzou has locked down those dynamic players like Porter for the last 20 years.
    You seem to be fighting the notion that Kim Anderson has been an utter disaster.

    Tell me, if this isn't failing, what could Kim Anderson have done that you would have considered a failure at this point? Do you think he could have done a worse job?
    Last edited by InSighT; 04-23-2016 at 12:48 AM.

  21. #21

    Default

    19-44, 6-30 in SEC play. 0 road wins in two years. Turned over the entire roster. Has a less talented roster now than he started with.

    I'm honestly curious as to how he could have done a worse job.

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by triggercut1 View Post
    Well sure. Because the point I was making by pointing out that Michael Porter's dad is a basketball coach makes your comparison very valid, since Bradley Beals and Tyler Hansbrough's fathers were also Mizzou coaches.

    Or you know, it might be reasonable to have some hopes that even an above average Mizzou coach could get the son of another Mizzou basketball coach to attend Mizzou to play basketball.

    Just as reasonable to think that guys like Tyler and Zeke Elliot and Devin Booker, et al with strong family ties to Mizzou would go elsewhere instead of Columbia. I mean, you can bag on Anderson all you want but the failure to land Porter would be last on the list for most people given the history of Mizzou. Not really debatable.

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tupelo View Post
    Just as reasonable to think that guys like Tyler and Zeke Elliot and Devin Booker, et al with strong family ties to Mizzou would go elsewhere instead of Columbia. I mean, you can bag on Anderson all you want but the failure to land Porter would be last on the list for most people given the history of Mizzou. Not really debatable.
    It may be a condition of him keeping his job.
    I like cheese.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    30,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InSighT View Post
    19-44, 6-30 in SEC play. 0 road wins in two years. Turned over the entire roster. Has a less talented roster now than he started with.

    I'm honestly curious as to how he could have done a worse job.
    Could've done all that and then also gone full Sandusky.


  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tupelo View Post
    Are you taking into account what was inherited and how long it takes to build a program?
    Jeezis

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •