Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 235

Thread: What wine are you drinking right now?

  1. #1

    Default What wine are you drinking right now?

    The older I get, the more I drink wine over beer. Adds less to my midsection, and honestly, I like the buzz better... I don't expect this thread to be nearly as long as the beer thread, but thought I would throw it out there...
    Check out my Grilling Blog - GrillinFools.com. No matter what time of the year it is I am a Grillin Fool.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Fontainebleau, France
    Posts
    8,236

    Default

    I'd be more inclined to contribute to this thread when I'm back in France for 3 months as of Tuesday.
    Sponsor of Modest Mouse and Ugly Cassanova, the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Kansas City Royals, and ASM Clermont rugby. Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Go KU!

  3. #3

    Default

    Tonight, I'm enjoying a 2007 Boarding Pass Shiraz. Robert Parker gave it 91 points. It was $11 at Provisions. Excellent value.

    Got a new bulb for my LCD today. Been without the widescreen in the man cave. It;s my only TV with an HD feed. Been without it for 6 days. Dark Knight has never looked better on Blu Ray.
    Check out my Grilling Blog - GrillinFools.com. No matter what time of the year it is I am a Grillin Fool.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MMouse View Post
    I'd be more inclined to contribute to this thread when I'm back in France for 3 months as of Tuesday.
    So friggin Jealous.
    Check out my Grilling Blog - GrillinFools.com. No matter what time of the year it is I am a Grillin Fool.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Fontainebleau, France
    Posts
    8,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrillinFool View Post
    So friggin Jealous.
    well you're jealous of my proximity to French wine. I'm jealous of your proximity to Hockey. Equal in my book.
    Sponsor of Modest Mouse and Ugly Cassanova, the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Kansas City Royals, and ASM Clermont rugby. Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Go KU!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    DeKalb, IL
    Posts
    3,184

    Default

    Boones Farm Strawberry Melon.

    Goes with Fish AND Steak.
    Sponsor of 2009 2010 2012 2014 Big 10 Mens Basketball Champions and 2010 2013 2015 Big 10 football champions Michigan State Spartans
    2008 2009 2013 2014 2015 NL West Champions Los Angeles Dodgers
    2010 NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrillinFool View Post
    Tonight, I'm enjoying a 2007 Boarding Pass Shiraz. Robert Parker gave it 91 points. It was $11 at Provisions. Excellent value.

    Got a new bulb for my LCD today. Been without the widescreen in the man cave. It;s my only TV with an HD feed. Been without it for 6 days. Dark Knight has never looked better on Blu Ray.
    I'm kind of a wine freak, and my collection continues to grow. The plan is to build a cellar (about 800 or so capacity) in the basement in the next year or so. I've got tons of different wines, but Shiraz figures significantly in my holdings. Some of my wine is high-end, some isn't, but I really enjoy finding great everyday wines that are phenomenal bang for the buck. The 2007 Boarding Pass is just such a wine -- excellent value for a great wine.

    There are wine sites all over the web, but by far the best one right now is WTSO.com -- stands for Wines Till Sold Out. They constantly buy wine in various lot sizes, and they send out roughly 3-6 emails a day with their offerings. The way it works is once a certain lot is sold out (hence the name), they send out a new email with another lot. In most cases, shipping can kill a deal. However, WTSO.com typically assigns a minimum order (but not a maximum) -- usually it's 3 or 4 bottles, and shipping is FREE. Their lots vary in price from $10 a bottle to some rare occasions where they'll have something over $100. In the case of more expensive offerings, the minimum is usually 1-2 bottles, but remember -- shipping is always free. All you have to do is go to their website and sign up for the email list. I've probably bought about 50 bottles or so from them in the past 6 months, and I've had zero problems.

    Yeah, I know -- great story.

  8. #8

    Default

    Had a 2008 Luigi Bosca Reserva Malbec with the wife tonight... Not bad for $14, but nothing special either... For Malbec it's hard to beat Catena for the value, or Luca if you wish to splurge a bit...

    Due to my time working as a server at a Brazilian steak joint, I have a bit of a bias towards South American wines...

    If anybody has any suggestions for full-bodied, tannic, heavy reds at value, I'm all ears...
    Official sponsor of Jay Bruce, Johnny Cueto, & Aroldis Chapman...

    [/url]

  9. #9

    Default

    I may be an oddity, but I generally prefer Missouri and Washington wines over most domestics or Aussie offerings dollar for dollar. Maybe I'm just a homer.
    "There is an old saying that goes 'no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.' That someone is me." - Chiun

    I require the lubrication to successfully handle some of them. *sigh*- Sunuvanun

    Matrem tuam pedicavi

    "I kinda dig Johnson" -Triggercut

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laniakea
    Posts
    23,939

    Default

    I love wine. My parents rarely kept it when I was growing up and I almost never drank it during college except a little bit at the end when I was shacking up with a couple relatively more sophisticated gals. After college I started learning more about it and more and more it's my preferred drink at home. I am always looking for a good deal. My trip to Napa in Oct was one I will never forget.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildhorse View Post
    I'm kind of a wine freak, and my collection continues to grow. The plan is to build a cellar (about 800 or so capacity) in the basement in the next year or so. I've got tons of different wines, but Shiraz figures significantly in my holdings. Some of my wine is high-end, some isn't, but I really enjoy finding great everyday wines that are phenomenal bang for the buck. The 2007 Boarding Pass is just such a wine -- excellent value for a great wine.

    There are wine sites all over the web, but by far the best one right now is WTSO.com -- stands for Wines Till Sold Out. They constantly buy wine in various lot sizes, and they send out roughly 3-6 emails a day with their offerings. The way it works is once a certain lot is sold out (hence the name), they send out a new email with another lot. In most cases, shipping can kill a deal. However, WTSO.com typically assigns a minimum order (but not a maximum) -- usually it's 3 or 4 bottles, and shipping is FREE. Their lots vary in price from $10 a bottle to some rare occasions where they'll have something over $100. In the case of more expensive offerings, the minimum is usually 1-2 bottles, but remember -- shipping is always free. All you have to do is go to their website and sign up for the email list. I've probably bought about 50 bottles or so from them in the past 6 months, and I've had zero problems.

    Yeah, I know -- great story.
    I sent that site to my dad and his business partner. My dad and Don did a lot of ordering from Carolina Wines before they declared bankruptcy. I think both of them had open orders when that happened that they had to eat the cost on.

    Speaking of Don, the guy is a wine God. He has a wine cellar and another storage area in the old Post Dispatch building the size of a storage unit. We're heading over there tonight to do some epic grilling and sample that collection. Don't got some bucks. His next door neighbor is Keith Tkachuk. We're going to do pulled pork, ribs, grilled brun-uusto and haloumi cheeses as well as the pear tart from the show.
    Check out my Grilling Blog - GrillinFools.com. No matter what time of the year it is I am a Grillin Fool.

  12. #12

    Default

    Oh, and talking about wines that are amazing bangs for the buck, Pillar Box Red, Marquis Phillips Sarah's Blend, and D'ahrenberg Shiraz Grenach. All are over 90 points and all are under $16. The D'Ahrenberg is a 93 point wine...
    Check out my Grilling Blog - GrillinFools.com. No matter what time of the year it is I am a Grillin Fool.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Eastside Motel
    Posts
    36,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blue zone View Post
    I may be an oddity, but I generally prefer Missouri and Washington wines over most domestics or Aussie offerings dollar for dollar. Maybe I'm just a homer.
    Mount Pleasant had a line called Timepiece. The Cab was very good.
    Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.

    We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laniakea
    Posts
    23,939

    Default

    Rex-Goliath Cab

  15. #15

    Default

    Patrick Lesic Select Chateauneuf Du Pape 2005... Fucking amazing... Seriously... One of the most complex, deep wines I've had in the past year... Multi-faceted, interesting, and amazing...
    Official sponsor of Jay Bruce, Johnny Cueto, & Aroldis Chapman...

    [/url]

  16. #16

    Default

    Honig 2007 Cab. $30-40

  17. #17

    Default

    I drank some ridiculous wine last night. My Dad's business partner had a guy night at his place last night. He showed us his 900 bottle wine cellar that was full from floor to ceiling. He was corking $120 bottles of wine left and right like he was popping beers. French reds, Italian reds, Alsace Rieslings magnums, Sonoma Chards. He cracked three 99 point chards, the first two had cork rot and he poured them out. And then the food. We did ribs and pulled pork along with two different kinds of shrimp, a 4 cheese macaroni and cornbread on in a cast iron skillet on the grill. One guy made sushi for apps. It was awesome...
    Check out my Grilling Blog - GrillinFools.com. No matter what time of the year it is I am a Grillin Fool.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Drinks himself insensitive and hates himself in the morning..the man outta time
    Posts
    33,819

    Default

    big..big wine fan.

    In fact, it has become almost the only alcohol I drink.

    Reds..
    I am a fan of French cab sav/cab franc...Aussie Pinot Noir...California Shiraz/merlot
    Chateau de Lascaux is very good value for money...
    Chateau Haute Bages...

    Aussie..Peter Lehman is good as is Giant Steps


    Whites...
    Love French/German Alsace Gerwurtztramminer...
    Trimbach is the nectar of the gods...brought 2 bottles to STL for XMas and my brother and I proceeded to drink them in 30 minutes...sogood.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Drinks himself insensitive and hates himself in the morning..the man outta time
    Posts
    33,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Had a 2008 Luigi Bosca Reserva Malbec with the wife tonight... Not bad for $14, but nothing special either... For Malbec it's hard to beat Catena for the value, or Luca if you wish to splurge a bit...

    Due to my time working as a server at a Brazilian steak joint, I have a bit of a bias towards South American wines...

    If anybody has any suggestions for full-bodied, tannic, heavy reds at value, I'm all ears...

    Malbec is damn good...I find the Chilean Malbec outstanding and usually good value for money. Bodega Norton at $20 is a damn fine wine...

    Try a few Italian Nebbiolos..also solid. Castello d'Albola is a great choice here.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Fontainebleau, France
    Posts
    8,236

    Default

    the only problem I have with Malbecs is the tendency to have sediment. Otherwise, I love them.
    Sponsor of Modest Mouse and Ugly Cassanova, the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Kansas City Royals, and ASM Clermont rugby. Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Go KU!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Drinks himself insensitive and hates himself in the morning..the man outta time
    Posts
    33,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MMouse View Post
    the only problem I have with Malbecs is the tendency to have sediment. Otherwise, I love them.
    that' not a bad thing...decant the wine first, in that case. The last few drops can be left in the decanter.

    Malbec is a french varietals in the Bordeaux family that the South Americans do better...

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Fontainebleau, France
    Posts
    8,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Indu WangZi View Post
    that' not a bad thing...decant the wine first, in that case. The last few drops can be left in the decanter.

    Malbec is a french varietals in the Bordeaux family that the South Americans do better...
    For sure. the first time straight out of the bottle, it's a bit of a shock. but then you get it. The flavors are phenominal, and the prices are equally as impressive.
    Sponsor of Modest Mouse and Ugly Cassanova, the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Kansas City Royals, and ASM Clermont rugby. Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Go KU!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Drinks himself insensitive and hates himself in the morning..the man outta time
    Posts
    33,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MMouse View Post
    For sure. the first time straight out of the bottle, it's a bit of a shock. but then you get it. The flavors are phenominal, and the prices are equally as impressive.
    Yeah...they are among the best value for money wines around...although, I think the secret is out so who knows how long they will be good value. Although, I am certain they will never achieve the over-inflated prices of French burgundy and bordeaux.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    South St. Louis
    Posts
    41,840

    Default

    I'm taking notes. The wife and I really started drinking wine about 8 months ago. Timed with the grilling season; nothing better than some red wine and a rare steak. Big Cabs and Merlot fan, but I'm trying to expand. I'm certainly not nearly as educated as many of you.

    But Wildhorse... I'll be checking out that website... sounds interesting.
    Official Sponsor of all things Mizzou Football, the non-existant Jose Oquendo STOP sign, and the Rally Hoosier!


  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Town of Down
    Posts
    15,850

    Default

    This weekend I popped open the bottle my "Secret Santa" at work got for me... Bridgeview Blue Moon Oregon Riesling... I have no idea what it's rated or how much it cost, but it's pretty good. Not super sweet- a little on dry side for a Riesling, but not too dry. Very good.
    Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

    And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

    Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •