Page 1 of 37 12326 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 919

Thread: Pet peeves

  1. #1

    Default Pet peeves

    Reading Razzy's post in the TLR Drunk thread reminded me of something that annoys me.

    The phrase "near miss" when used to describe something that almost happened.

    If you "nearly missed" it, then you obviously hit it.

    The correct phrase should be "near hit".

    Nothing against Razzy, but that just reminded me of that pet peeve.

    Discuss.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    13,807

    Default

    Pet peeve? My Labrador farts while she sleeps...audibly.

    Dat's right!

    Official Lounge Dog
    Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
    Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Over Yonder
    Posts
    21,723

    Default

    My wife will leave dresser drawers open, cabinet doors, etc. and it fucking drives me nuts. Dudes who come to my house and pee all over my toilet and don't clean it up. Drives me nuts. People who walk in my house and don't remove their shoes, I find rude. People who chomp their gum. Drives me nuts. Cell phones. I hate them. I have one and can't live without it. I wish they didn't exist, though. I think.

    There's plenty more...
    --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
    --Suck it cubbies.
    --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

  4. #4

    Default

    Never thought about that. I guess that is just like when people say "I could care less"
    的致e always stated, 選知 a Missouri Tiger,樗 Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, 的知 excited about what痴 taking place here.

    Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, 典hey know me, and that痴 where the trust comes in.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa_Card View Post
    Reading Razzy's post in the TLR Drunk thread reminded me of something that annoys me.

    The phrase "near miss" when used to describe something that almost happened.

    If you "nearly missed" it, then you obviously hit it.

    The correct phrase should be "near hit".

    Nothing against Razzy, but that just reminded me of that pet peeve.

    Discuss.
    I disagree. "Near miss", while maybe not the most precise expression, can logically be read as intended: to come near something but still miss it.

    But what a great thread idea! Let's list all our spelling and grammar pet peeves. Here's one: the exact misuse of the word "literally". Like the ESPN bitch I once heard on the radio describing a Florida rally in the NCAA Tournament thusly: "You could literally see the tide turn." No, no you couldn't, not unless the court was underwater.
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

    "This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Patrolling the Skies Of San Jose
    Posts
    34,432

    Default

    Using the word "loose" to mean "lose".

    Using "effect" instead of "affect" and vice versa. People, they're not the same word.

  7. #7

    Default

    "A whole nother"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Over Yonder
    Posts
    21,723

    Default

    Two/to/too/there/their/they're/your/you're
    --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
    --Suck it cubbies.
    --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

  9. #9

    Default

    My biggest pet peeve are people that drive and talk on their damn cell phones, when they arent capable of doing so without yielding to an emergency vehicle, turning right on a red when there are no fucking cars coming, or running a red light, among other things.

    I get royally pissed when I am trying to turn into traffic that is stopped at a red light, and some idiot wont let me in because they arent paying attention because they are on the damn phone discussing the color scheme of their kitchen with someone who "could care less".
    的致e always stated, 選知 a Missouri Tiger,樗 Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, 的知 excited about what痴 taking place here.

    Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, 典hey know me, and that痴 where the trust comes in.

  10. #10

    Default

    "Orientate".

    ORIENT, YOU STUPID BASTARD.
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

    "This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

  11. #11

    Default

    On the subject of traffic...Daley has the downtown streets cleaned during rush hour, so everybody can see their tax dollars at work. Good times.

  12. #12

    Default

    Exclamation points in emails!!!!!!

    Chewing with mouth open....food or gum.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.


    "When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
    -Barry Goldwater

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Over Yonder
    Posts
    21,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
    My biggest pet peeve are people that drive and talk on their damn cell phones, when they arent capable of doing so without yielding to an emergency vehicle, turning right on a red when there are no fucking cars coming, or running a red light, among other things.

    I get royally pissed when I am trying to turn into traffic that is stopped at a red light, and some idiot wont let me in because they arent paying attention because they are on the damn phone discussing the color scheme of their kitchen with someone who "could care less".
    ++ I have no use for shitty fucking drivers who aren't paying attention. Drives me crazy. Borderline road rage for me.
    --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
    --Suck it cubbies.
    --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F the Cubs View Post
    My wife will leave dresser drawers open, cabinet doors, etc. and it fucking drives me nuts. Dudes who come to my house and pee all over my toilet and don't clean it up. Drives me nuts. People who walk in my house and don't remove their shoes, I find rude. People who chomp their gum. Drives me nuts. Cell phones. I hate them. I have one and can't live without it. I wish they didn't exist, though. I think.

    There's plenty more...
    People who walk into your house and don't remove their shoes?

  15. #15

    Default

    People who believe exit only lanes are for through traffic. "I am going to zip down this exit lane at a faster rate than all of you are going, then shift back into traffic by passing over both the curved and straight solid line after the exit lane finally splits off. Because I am an asshole."
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

    "This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

  16. #16

    Default

    Everyone at the airport. Every time.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kah View Post
    I disagree. "Near miss", while maybe not the most precise expression, can logically be read as intended: to come near something but still miss it.
    Yeah, I suppose that is plausible (keeping with the Mythbusters theme).

    I'm sure there's a word that describes that type of word usage.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Where My Wood is Wild
    Posts
    21,211

    Default

    In regards to grammar (which this topic seemed to be originally heading towards) the biggest one I have (besides the thousands of over-used buzzwords my boss uses on a regular basis) has to be:

    Irregardless.
    You want me to not regard something already not being regarded.
    Huh.


    If we are talking about traffic and driving...I would destroy this site's bandwidth if I were to start listing all my irritations there.
    Suffice to say people not paying attention and not having the requisite driving skill are high on the list.
    "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
    "I didn't know you
    had any feelings"

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Over Yonder
    Posts
    21,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Offsides View Post
    People who walk into your house and don't remove their shoes?
    Hell yes. I have pretty white carpet and I intend to keep it that way. My 3 and half year old knows to remove his shoes when he comes in from playing outside.

    Your shoes better appear brand new and have zip on the soles if you don't want me givin' you shit.
    --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
    --Suck it cubbies.
    --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by backstop View Post
    Everyone at the airport. Every time.
    The Transportation Security Authority, everyone associate with it, and any politician that supports it in its current form. Have said it before and will say it again: I would vote for any Republican presidential nominee who pledged to let us keep our shoes on and waived that asinine 3+1+1 "put your toothpaste in a bag" bullshit. You hear me, Mitt Romney?
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

    "This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SunuvaNun View Post
    In regards to grammar (which this topic seemed to be originally heading towards) the biggest one I have (besides the thousands of over-used buzzwords my boss uses on a regular basis) has to be:

    Irregardless.
    That's the one I was trying to think of.

    Another grammar pet peeve is when someone says "I ain't never..." or any sentence that contains a double-negative and still implies the negative of the subject.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Over Yonder
    Posts
    21,723

    Default

    Never end a sentence with a preposition!!!

    Where are my shoes at? Ugh....behind the at. At least that's what my momma used to say.
    --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
    --Suck it cubbies.
    --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    13,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F the Cubs View Post
    Hell yes. I have pretty white carpet and I intend to keep it that way. My 3 and half year old knows to remove his shoes when he comes in from playing outside.

    Your shoes better appear brand new and have zip on the soles if you don't want me givin' you shit.
    If I walk in your house with my shoes on, I'll be giving YOU shit. Literally.

    Dat's right!

    Official Lounge Dog
    Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
    Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F the Cubs View Post
    Never end a sentence with a preposition!!!

    Where are my shoes at? Ugh....behind the at. At least that's what my momma used to say.
    Location: Over Yonder

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    13,807

    Default

    Oh, God...Cg's reading this thread. We're good for 15 pages now, at least...

    Dat's right!

    Official Lounge Dog
    Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
    Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •