Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dateline NBC: To Catch a Predator

Quote Originally Posted by madyaks
    Now that does seem like BS...
    If I were on that jury, and he sat there saying yes I have a problem and I know it.. I was trying to fight the temptation, I even said no and didn't want to meet but she kept coming at me...
    As much as I hate these fucks, that guy walks...
    All he had to do was say "No" and NOT GO...but he didn't (pretty simple). She persisted, he went. Poor choice by him as now he has the circumstances to deal with.
    Feb. 08, 2005
    Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
    Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Airshark View Post
    NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nsane2Bme
    All he had to do was say "No" and NOT GO...but he didn't (pretty simple). She persisted, he went. Poor choice by him as now he has the circumstances to deal with.
    Hey, I do not support these sick fuckers. But I have a big issue with a TV show setting someone up, and continuing to go after him after he did say no.
    If he goes to jail I certainly will not cry for him. But if I were on the jury I could not in good conscious vote to convict him if he did say no, but was contacted again and again in an effort to get him to say yes. (if that is what happened)
    If you believe in something be passionate about it or don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by madyaks
    Hey, I do not support these sick fuckers. But I have a big issue with a TV show setting someone up, and continuing to go after him after he did say no.
    If he goes to jail I certainly will not cry for him. But if I were on the jury I could not in good conscious vote to convict him if he did say no, but was contacted again and again in an effort to get him to say yes. (if that is what happened)
    Then you and I would be at each others throats and we'd sit there and argue for days.

It doesn't matter how he was enticed to go. He didn't have to go...but he did. If he was annoyed by "her" contacting him, all he had to do was block her IM's, emails etc. and the problem goes away. Once again, a pretty simple resolution.

However that didn't happen (that we know of)...he went and now he has to deal with his actions.

I will add - that I didn't see this episode, so I don't know exactly what was said/reported. I was semi awake when it was rebroadcasted this morning, but I wasn't able to stay awake to watch.
    Feb. 08, 2005

Forever

The next installment of "To Catch a Predator" is on...

Again...this program does a GREAT service...

But does Dateline do anything else? This should be its own show...

Maybe that would blow some of its cover...still...if morons don't know about this NBC sting operation yet, then they're morons...
    Sponsor of Jason Witten, and Co-Sponsor of Chris Carpenter & Allen "The Wrench" Craig..

Or they don't watch TV.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsOnlyTheRiver
    Or they don't watch TV.
    Good point...they probably spend all their time on the internet stalking young girls...
    Sponsor of Jason Witten, and Co-Sponsor of Chris Carpenter & Allen "The Wrench" Craig..

Quote Originally Posted by JK_STLfan_in_DFW

Maybe that would blow some of its cover...still...if morons don't know about this NBC sting operation yet, then they're morons...
    Some of them are worried about Dateline, but they're still showing up.

Morons, indeed.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Wow...what's even worse is that when they get caught, they start singing like canaries without a lawyer present...

Morons, indeed...

Seeing these guys try to tap dance their way out of this is priceless.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

unincorporated (for now) St. Charles County

It's obvious that a couple of these guys have no idea who the Dateline guy is. One thought it was the girl's father. Wasn't going to do anything with her but had Astroglide, beer, lingerie and condoms out in his truck.

Losers.
    "Print is dead."

Dr. Egon Spengler - 1986

This dude definitely looks like a trucker from Georgia.
    Official 2013-14 Lounge Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz and 2014 Sponsor of Peter Bourjos

Quote Originally Posted by JK_STLfan_in_DFW

I would feel more comfortable with the show if they released the full IM transcripts and who contacts whom, what pictures they send them, etc.

I imagine the argument for televising it, if Dateline was pressed, was that it serves as negative reinforcement for pedophilias on the Internet. But really? It sure doesn't seem like it as the people they're getting now have SEEN THE FUCKING SHOW.

There's a lot of stupid, lonely and horny people out there, who may not necessarily be "predators" but are so desperate for ass that they lull themselves into this arrangement, which they never would seek on their own. In my opinion, you're also dealing with a chemical imbalance in some individuals as well, which is why folks who have seen the show still drive down for underage sex.

I'm not saying that's all of them; we're just not given enough information to know better.

I also think it's disgusting that they're using the crime of child molestation as props for ratings. What are they being charged with? Innocent until proven guilty? What happens after the cameras are off?

Let's be clear: they're ruining lives here. And yes, somebody's life should be ruined if they're into pedophilia, but so much is not clear that I think the program crosses the line. I guess the glorification of people like Glovey just revolts me.
    Last edited by lasvegasreb; 11-04-2006 at 08:12 PM.
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Hey, hey, hey -- wait just a Goddamn minute. I should not be lumped in with these people.
    Official 2013-14 Lounge Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz and 2014 Sponsor of Peter Bourjos

I would also like to know how many other real true underage girls hang out in these chatrooms. Do they just create a chatroom, GET YOUR UNDERAGE SEX HERE!!!!, and these idiots log in? So many unanswered questions about methodology.

All I'm saying, Dateline needs to have an ombudsman for this program, as well as a public display of its own methods for all to see, as they are truly ruining lives, some of which are deserved and some of which probably aren't.

Nobody appointed or elected Dateline to be a part of the law enforcement process.
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Quote Originally Posted by lasvegasreb
    I would also like to know how many other real true underage girls hang out in these chatrooms. Do they just create a chatroom, GET YOUR UNDERAGE SEX HERE!!!!, and these idiots log in? So many unanswered questions about methodology.

All I'm saying, Dateline needs to have an ombudsman for this program, as well as a public display of its own methods for all to see, as they are truly ruining lives, some of which are deserved and some of which probably aren't.

Nobody appointed or elected Dateline to be a part of the law enforcement process.
    I agree, would they still be doing this if it wasn't getting killer ratings?

I believe Dateline is actually outsourcing this sting operation to a company called Perverted Justice, www.perverted-justice.com

I think you can find more info (chat transcripts, etc) there.

I raised the entrapment secnario a while back..here is what IC said and it makes sense...

Not really. You can perform a sting on a drug dealer or a prostitute and the courts have ruled that it is not entrapment.

Entrapment simply means that a police officer tricks you into comitting a crime that you were not going to commit without the officer's enticing.

These pedophiles are not entrapped because they are the ones who 1) ask to meet the "child" and 2) set up the details for the meet.

The officers on the other end of the computer carefully craft their words so the pedophile sets up the meeting. Enticing a minor is still against the law.

Lets put it this way: Saying you slept with a 16 year old because he/she looked like an 18 year old does not make the statutory rape charges go away. Same thing could be said about how you perceive a person over internet chat.
    HOWEVER...It now sounds like NBC (or someone) has a chattroom set up to lure these guys...

While they're freakin' scum...by law...I think THAT is entrapment, based on IC's definition...

Way to go, you fucks. You killed somebody.

Let me be clear: let's lock up predators. Let's give them long sentences.

But why the fuck is Dateline a part of the process? Why the hell should every single one of these jackoffs be branded child molesters w/o DUE PROCESS?

It's a pretty heinous label without being tried. And yet, they show up on TV, ruining their lives, WITHOUT EVEN A FUCKING TRIAL.

I'm just really pissed off about this, and there's no need. Predator stings without the cameras? Great. Predator stings and releasing the video after they've been found guilty? Fine.

But trying people through the TV camera is SO FUCKING WRONG. $#@$@

Ex-Texas DA Dead After TV Child-Predator Sting

Police Were Arriving To Serve Warrant

POSTED: 3:06 pm EST November 6, 2006
    TERRELL, Texas -- A Texas prosecutor committed suicide Sunday, after allegedly being caught-up in one of the many popular TV news child-predator stings. Police were trying to serve Louis "Bill" Conradt Jr., 56, with an arrest warrant at his home, alleging that he solicited sex with someone he thought was a 13-year-old boy, but who was actually a decoy.Dallas TV station KXAS reported that the explicit conversations even included a webcam and the telephone.Officers had a search warrant for his computer. As officers moved in to make an arrest, they heard a shot. They found Conradt inside with a self-inflicted wound. He died later at a hospital in Dallas. The warrant resulted from one of the now-familiar stings in which NBC "Dateline" and an Internet child-predator watchdog group lure people to a home, where they are confronted by a reporter."Without going into details -- it was extremely explicit," said Detective Sgt. Snow Robertson of the Murphy Police Department.Police said Conradt had not gone to the house, but that they believe he had been planning to. "(Children) shouldn't have to worry about getting on the Internet and worrying about an older person having sex with them," said Robertson. Conradt was the chief felony assistant DA for Rockwall County, and was formerly the DA in Kaufman County. The mayor in Murphy, Texas, told the paper he hopes his town won't be used again to try to trap child predators in this way.NBC News confirmed that the sting operation involved "Dateline" and its "To Catch A Predator" series and issued the following statement:NBC News' "Dateline" was in Texas reporting on its "To Catch A Predator" series in conjunction with online watchdog group Perverted Justice. In the midst of that effort, Rockwall County Assistant District Attorney Louis W. Conradt, Jr. contacted a decoy from Perverted Justice who was posing as a 13-year-old boy. Local authorities launched an investigation into Conradt's online communications and went to his home with an arrest warrant. In the course of that investigation, Conradt committed suicide. There was no contact whatsoever between Conradt and "Dateline" at any point in the investigation.Other Names Released:The Murphy Police Department has arrested more than 20 individuals on charges of online solicitation of a minor in connection with the investigative piece.Last July, authorities in Murphy arrested six people on charges of online solicitation of a minor while working with the community watchdog group Perverted Justice. The group works to identify, locate and capture sexual predators who prey on children. The group has been in existence for four years and has assisted in the arrests of 260 people and more than 80 convictions across the United States.With the success of last July's investigation, the Murphy Police Department arranged a four-day sting operation that would again partner the department with Perverted Justice as well as "Dateline NBC," officials said.During the course of the sting operation, officials said more than 20 Internet child predator suspects were arrested after, police said, they traveled to meet who they believed to be a 13- or 14-year-old child for sex.Murphy Police Chief Billy Myrick conceded that not all residents liked having the sting operation brought into their city but he defended the program and said that it was a benefit to the community.In a news release, the Murphy Police Department said the suspects captured during this event did not know that the Murphy Police Department had partnered with Perverted Justice and "Dateline NBC." They had no way of knowing that this was a sting operation or that they were about to be arrested. Police said the suspects came to Murphy because they actually believed that they were in contact with a 13- to 14-year-old child with whom they would engage in sexual contact. Two of these predators drove from Houston, one came from Oklahoma and many others live just moments away from this community."These Internet predators are operating everywhere. They know no bounds and will go after anyone’s child to satisfy their own personal interests," Myrick said. "We are committed to this community’s welfare and we believe that we are doing the right thing."The Murphy Police Department released the following list of suspects arrested in connection with the sting operation:
    • Eric Rubalcava, age 31, from Houston
    • John Baker, age 25, from Frisco
    • Stanley Kendall, age 54, from Mesquite
    • Timothy Gilliam, age 32, from Flower Mound
    • Asif Khokar, age 27, from Houston
    • Samuel Tanguma, age 27, from Grand Prairie
    • Steve Rosello, age 32, from Kennedale
    • Edward Hollingsworth, age 35, from Dallas
    • Milan Mehta, age 46, from Richardson
    • Sajjad Mohammad, age 43, from Murphy
    • David Pann, age 40, from Lewisville
    • Alan Chernnay, age 58, from Plano
    • William Dow, age 63, from Carrollton
    • Kevin Carroll, age 37, from Carrollton
    • Jose Soto, age 54, from Mesquite
    • Christopher Cothrum, age 23, from Westworth Village
    • Justin Estes, age 27, from Plano
    • Paulo Deassuncao, age 37, from McKinney
    • Timothy Knowles, age 35, from Euless
    • Patrick Parr, age 33, from Frisco
    • Randall Wolford, age 52, from Whitewright
    • Louis W. Conradt, age 56, from Terrell
    Police said that the suspects were arraigned before Murphy Municipal Court Judge Cathy Haden, who set bonds ranging between $50,000 and $100,000. They were then transported to the Collin County Jail by personnel from the Collin County Sheriff’s Department.All of the men arrested have been charged with the offense of online solicitation of a minor. Some of those arrested were additionally charged with second-degree and third-degree felonies.Officials said those arrested could face more charges. Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. Th

19. Default

But why the fuck is Dateline a part of the process? Why the hell should every single one of these jackoffs be branded child molesters w/o DUE PROCESS?

It's a pretty heinous label without being tried. And yet, they show up on TV, ruining their lives, WITHOUT EVEN A FUCKING TRIAL.

I'm just really pissed off about this, and there's no need. Predator stings without the cameras? Great. Predator stings and releasing the video after they've been found guilty? Fine.

Doesn't something seem wrong for NBC to be making money off of this?

Why are they going to the house? They showed up to have sex with a 13 year old boy! Just because the authoities stopped them before they did, does not make them any less guilty. It is not like they are setting up a sting for robbery where they can let the guys commit the crime before they arrest them. These men are going to rape children and you think they are getting a bad rap?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky
    Doesn't something seem wrong for NBC to be making money off of this?
    As long as they are getting these types of people off the street, I don't care how much money they are making off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    As long as they are getting these types of people off the street, I don't care how much money they are making off of it.
    ++ Each time they catch one, that's one less set of parents that will have to go thru the anguish of "how did this happen to my child". That's one less father or step-father who wants to go and beat the shit out of someone that lives two doors down from them, across the street, or attends Church with.

And from what I read of the guy who committed suicide...he committed suicide...no one from the show was standing there with a gun to his head. Louis "Bill" Conradt Jr. knew better...he fucked up - got busted. He is the one that pulled the trigger - not anyone from Dateline, not the cops...just Louis "Bill" Conradt Jr.

People who try and defend this sick fucks amaze me...just amaze me.
    Feb. 08, 2005

Forever

Reb isn't defending anyone...he is saying that these guys should get a trial and be convicted as sexual predators before being shown on national tv as one. I'm not really sure whether I agree with that, but it's a valid point to think about.
    You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen
    Reb isn't defending anyone...he is saying that these guys should get a trial and be convicted as sexual predators before being shown on national tv as one. I'm not really sure whether I agree with that, but it's a valid point to think about.
    Understand.

They showed up. Thats all it takes in my opinion. Guilty.

You know what's worse than people who are raping children?

People who are raping our legal system.

Nsane, I'm sorry, you're either being totally ignorant or just being inflammatory if you say I'm defending "child molesters."

I'm defending our legal system. I'm defending the historical importance of fucking due process. I'm defending the idea that you aren't seeing everything that is happening.

You know what, if 12 people decide they're guilty, send them to hell. Seriously. Put child molesters away for a long time. But there's an important process between fucking Dateline and a JURY ROOM.

"If they show up, guilty." Hollywood, if that's what you want in this world as a legal system, guilty by way of TV and without a trial, then I'm sorry, I can't help you. You're an idiot and you deserve that system someday to fucking bite you on the ass.

Thread Information