Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thousands protest Bush

Anybody checking out C-span. It's amazing how many people are out. Looks like a Vietnam style protest rally.

Takin' it back to the streets.

'No more years!' chant Bush foes
    Thousands of protesters march in N.Y. on eve of GOP gatheringThe Associated Press
    Updated: 2:19 p.m. ET Aug. 29, 2004NEW YORK - Tens of thousands of Bush administration opponents poured into Manhattan’s streets Sunday on the eve of the Republican National Convention, angrily but peacefully denouncing the war in Iraq and demanding the United States withdraw its forces.

Flanked by police in riot gear and led by a line of celebrities including actor Danny Glover and filmmaker Michael Moore, the protesters moved through the fortified city on a circular route that took them through midtown and passed Madison Square Garden, where the convention opens Monday.

The marchers, chanting slogans like “No more years” and carrying anti-Bush signs, filled nearly 20 city blocks on a sunny, steamy day with temperatures in the upper 80s. Supporters leaned from windows to cheer them on. Organizers claimed up to 250,000 people would participate in what was expected to be the largest protest of the week.

No immediate crowd count was available.

City officials implored demonstrators to be peaceful. No violence was reported, though about 45 protesters on bicycles were detained and bound with plastic handcuffs just off the march route, police said. No further details were immediately available.

Some demonstrators carried fly-swatters bearing Bush’s face. Others batted around a 6-foot inflatable globe. One sign echoed Democratic nominee John Kerry’s Vietnam-era remark: “How do you ask a soldier to be the last person to die for a lie?” Another read “Bush lies. Who dies?”

“Today we send our message,” said Leslie Cagan, leader of United for Peace and Justice, the march’s organizer.

Some convention-goers looked on from behind police lines as demonstrators jeered them, shouting: “Go home!” At one corner, about 10 people drew verbal assaults for their banner, “In God and President Bush we can trust.”

Moore speaks
    Moore addressed protesters at a gathering 10 blocks south of the convention site. He repeated his belief that most people oppose the war in Iraq and the Bush administration.

“The majority of this country wants the Bush administration out of office,” the “Fahrenheit 9-11” director said. “The majority never voted for the Bush administration, and the majority are here to say, ‘It’s time to have our country back in our hands.”’

Hundreds of protesters carried mock coffins made of cardboard boxes draped with homemade American flags to represent military personnel killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

“Would anyone like to volunteer to be a pallbearer today?” asked protester Ken Miller, 38, a city maintenance worker. “These are lighter than they look.”

The causes varied as much as the people shouting support: immigrants’ rights, gay rights, universal health care, the Palestinian cause, an end to the killing in Sudan. Tracy Blevins, a biomedical researcher who lived in New York recently, died her Maltese pink and carried the little dog in a baby pouch to advocate peace.

Sunday’s protest followed several days of demonstrations throughout the city, staged by an array of activist groups.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5822306/
    Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

On CSPAN right now they have the protesters in the streets of NYC. All types are there to get their message out. Mostly fringe units but you have to look at the march as a whole. People are fed up w/ this asshole we have in the WH right now. Every President will have his/her detractors but has NYCU ever taught classes in cival disobedience before?

Keep your heads in the sand GOP, and this will only get worse.

It was funny that in Moore's 9-11 they showed the protests on the day of Bush's inaugurating, they were HUGE, but they never showed how bad they were on TV.
    (But the media is so liberal)
    If you believe in something be passionate about it or don't bother.

They are there for every GOP convention. This is nothing new.
    Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Republicans are usually adept at turning these things to their advantage. Not sure about whether the 2004 republicans will botch it, and turn it into a minus.
    I am usually at the Bread Company in Festus from 7-9 in the morning....wonderful, unexpected conversations happen, and if it interrupts my efforts to re-establish my posting rights at public radio......the worst thing which could happen would be if they said ok...it is a lot of fun being scorned...and there is probably nothing really wrong with their 990 tax thing, anyway.

Originally posted by CSD@Aug 29 2004, 01:26 PM
    They are there for every GOP convention. This is nothing new.
    Guess again.

C-span broadcast that these were the largest demonstartions ever recorded for a GOP convention.

The hostility toward Bush is incredible.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

They are chanting "Fox news sucks."

Oh EVERY GOP convention?

Chicago '68 was the Dems. The protesters weren't allowed w/in miles of the convention in Miami that year.

Kepp underestimateing.

Another thread was started after this one and is under way.

Can a mod merge this please into The Protests will be televised thread?

Thanks
    hky

Originally posted by hkyfan+Aug 29 2004, 03:28 PM-->
    QUOTE (hkyfan @ Aug 29 2004, 03:28 PM)

Thread Information